12.17.2009

Removing vaseline from hair

Does anyone know how to do this? It was hilarious tonight when I discovered it... and I hesitate to tell the story because this post could be titled "neglect". I am of course in the middle of unpacking and settling our home (which by the way I LOVE) and so the kids are all doing their own thing quite often. Isaac got tired of all the usual things tonight and decided to go into the bathroom and "wash his hair".
I assumed, wrongfully, that he was in his room playing peacefully, and specifically did not check on him because if I opened the door, he inevitably would want me to stop working and play. Anyone who thinks this is wrong of me has not had a 3-year-old, or it has been 20 years since they had little kids and they have re-made their memories to perfection. :) I knew he was completely safe in there since there are no chords, choking hazards, water, etc... After about 40 minutes of this, I went into the bathroom to put something away, and as I opened the door I smelled something wonderful... like fresh and clean soap. And, I was right! Isaac had unloaded about 1-2 cups of vaseline and about 1/2 a bottle of hand soap into a wonderful smelling lather that covered the mirror and his head.
I laughed SO hard (not a good reaction as far as teaching goes) and I went to go get my camera only to realize that I had no clue where it was... still packed somewhere. Darn it. He was so cute and messy and I thought it was funny until I put him in the shower and realized it would NOT come out for anything. Also he was screaming because it was in his eyes by now. I combed out as much as I could and was prepared to cut all of his hair off when Adam said it would ruin the clippers.... so what are my options now? Well, I googled it and got lots of crazy ideas including coke, Tide, eggs, etc... has anyone solved this before?
On an unrelated note, I love it when someone has a great playlist on their blog, and I found one on my friends blog this week... hope you don't mind Erin if I put a link for your music! It is all Christmas music and there is some that the kids love and some that I love... nice variety. They are our good friends that moved last fall from Las Vegas. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

yes- i love the part about people not relating having remade their memories to perfection! haha- awesome!

oh yeah, and no clue about the vaseline. no clue.

dannyhaley said...

That is such a funny story! I don't know how to get vaseline our of hair, haven't encountered this yet. One time Emily got a HUGE glob of gum all over her hair and that took forever to get out, with ice, peanut butter and some scissors. Maybe just go to Walmart buy some cheap clippers and buzz his head! I really wish you had a picture, he sounds so cute. Keep us posted on the results.

Katherine said...

No help here with vaseline - we've had plenty of vaseline mishaps, just not hair! Sorry.
But thanks for Erin's playlist link. It's past my bedtime and I've still got hours left of "stuff" to catch up on - I'm enjoying the company!

Erin said...

Good luck with the vaseline! Cade did that once - thought it would make good spikes. It took weeks before his hair was back to normal. Glad you liked my christmas music! Can't wait to come play and see your new house!

Natalie said...

Never had a Vaseline incident so I don't know what to do. Mom said something about Dawn dish soap working on things like that- so maybe. You have probably already resolved it by now though. Send Isaac to us for a while- we would love it!

DCAja said...

https://hubpages.com/@zippozip